We all know about Chidambaram Mandir which denotes Sky from 5 elements – Fire, Water, Sky, Air and Earth, which is situated in Tamil Nadu, India. Here we will know about significance which is lesser known facts about Chidambaram Mandir:
The layout and architecture of the mandir is replete with philosophical meanings.
- The 9 gateways signify the 9 orifices in the human body.
- The Ponnambalam, the sanctum sanctorum represents the heart which is reached by a flight of 5 stairs called the Panchaatchara padi – pancha meaning 5, achhara – indestructible syllables – “SI VA YA NA MA“, from a raised anterior dias – the Kanakasabai.
- The access to the Sabha is through the sides of the stage (not from the front as in most mandirs). The Sanctum sanctorum is held by 28 pillars – representing the 28 agamas or set of methodologies for the worship of Bhagwan Shiva.
- The roof is held by a set of 64 beams representing the 64 forms of art & is held by several cross-beams representing the innumerable blood vessels. The roof has been laid by 21600 golden tiles with the word SI VA YA NA MA inscribed on them representing 21600 breaths.
- The golden tiles are fixed using 72000 golden nails which represents the number of nadis exists in human body. The roof is topped by a set of 9 Kalasas, representing the 9 forms of energy. (refer Umapathy Sivam’s Kunchitaangristhavam)
- This mandir is located at the Center Point of world ‘s Magnetic Equator.
- Among the “Pancha bootha” mandirs, Chidambaram denotes the Skies. Kalahasthi denotes Wind. Kanchi Ekambareswar denotes land. All these 3 mandirs are located in a straight line at 79 degrees 41 minutes Longitude. This can be verified. An amazing fact & astronomical miracle !
- The dance of Bhagwan Nataraja is described as Cosmic Dance by Western Scientists.
Bhagwan Nataraja statue placed at the entrance of CERN (European Organization
for Nuclear Research Organization ) in Geneva, Switzerland.
How to reach this Mandir – Location from Google maps – Click Here
A Short video on Chidambaram Mandir with English subtitles from YouTube for better understanding
Pic Credit: CERN website, Google, and Flickr – Thank you to respective owners